St. Croix Renaissance Park has a deep water port, known as Port St. Croix, which was blasted out of caliche in 1962 and 1963 by Harvey Aluminum and the USVI Government. It extends more than one mile inland from Ruth Key, a 37-acre man-made island, and provides one of the best hurricane sheltered harbors in the Caribbean. The Port's channel is 7,000 feet long, 300 feet wide and 35 feet deep and includes ample docking space and working port facilities. The Port's amenities include:
- Pipeline off/on loading facilities;
- Two large capacity traveling clamshell bulk material unloaders that can handle 450-tons-per-hour and are connected via conveyor to a material storage building;
- Pipelines for delivery of oil and water to ships;
- A roll-on/roll-off dock next to the 1,800-foot turning basic with a draft capacity of 20 feet; and 1,800 foot turning basin with a 35 foot depth.
The Port could easily allow for additional development of more than 10,000 feet of dock space, appropriate for a container facility and port related services.
Strategically positioned at the hub of the Anegada passage, Port St. Croix is centrally located relative to international shipping lanes for import, export and transshipment. Businesses that utilize the Port also enjoy the economic benefits of exclusion from the Jones Act. The Jones Act (also known at the Merchant Maine Act of 1920) regulates maritime commerce in U.S. waters. Among other things, it restricts the carriage of goods and passengers between U.S. ports to U.S. flagged vessels, and it requires at least 75% of crewmembers to be U.S. citizens. Businesses that use Port St. Croix enjoy full exclusion from these and other Jones Act requirements.